Friday, June 29, 2018

The New Covenant, Israel, and the Church

Why should I care about the Biblical Covenants?  For one, because the character of God is at stake with regards to the fulfillment of these promises.  Two, they are the catalyst for a believer's comfort and hope (especially during dark days).  Three, you will have a superficial understanding of the overarching story line of the Bible, the Christmas narrative, and the future (eschatology).

Having spent a month or so studying the Abrahamic and Davidic Covenants Dan brought an overview lesson on the New Covenant on Wednesday night at Lake Country Bible Church.  Here are his student notes.

The New Covenant, Israel, and the Church
(Jeremiah 31:31-37; Galatians 3:13-29; Romans 11:11-36)

Introduction: Brief OT Survey

Genesis 6:5-8- "The Lord saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every
intention of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually. And the Lord regretted that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him to his heart. So the Lord said, ‘I will blot out man whom I have created from the face of the land, man and animals and creeping things and birds of the heavens, for I am sorry that I have made them.’ But Noah found favor in the eyes of the Lord.”

Genesis 8:21-22 = “And when the Lord smelled the pleasing aroma, the Lord said in his heart, ‘I will
never again curse the ground because of man, for the intention of man’s heart is evil from his youth.
Neither will I ever again strike down every living creature as I have done. While the earth remains,
seedtime and harvest, cold and heat, summer and winter, day and night, shall not cease.’”

The Abrahamic Covenant
Summary:
1.) God will give land to the descendants of Abraham.
2.) God will give Abraham a great number of descendants.
3.) God will bless all nations of the earth through Abraham.

Mosaic Covenant
Summary:
1.) The Law was given to govern all of life for the people of Israel.
2.) The Mosaic covenant was bilateral, conditional, and contingent on the people obeying it.


Davidic Covenant
Summary:
1.) God will make David’s offspring be forever.
2.) God will make one of David’s offspring to always be on the throne of Israel (a Forever King over a forever Kingdom).

II) The New Covenant- Jeremiah 31:31-37, see also Hebrews.

1.) God will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and the house of Judah.
…31:31 = “Behold, the days are coming, declares the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and the house of Judah,”

2.) This new covenant will not be like the Mosaic covenant.
…31:32 = “not like the covenant that I made with their fathers on the day when I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt, my covenant that they broke, though I was their husband, declares the Lord.”

3.) God will put His law within them.
…31:33a = “For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, declares the Lord: I will put my law within them,”

4.) God will write the law on their hearts.
…31:33b = “and I will write it on their hearts.”

5.) God will be their God.
…31:33c = “And I will be their God,”

6.) Israel and Judah will be God’s people.
…31:33d = “and they shall be my people.”

7.) No longer will they say “know the Lord” for all will know God.
…31:34a = “And no longer shall each one teach his neighbor and each his brother, saying, ‘Know the
Lord,’ for they shall all know me, from the least of them to the greatest, declares the Lord.”

8.) God will forgive their iniquity.
…31:34b = “For I will forgive their iniquity,”

9.) God will remember their sin no more.
…31:34c = “and I will remember their sin no more.”

10.) The offspring of Israel will never cease to be a nation before God.
…31:35-36 = “Thus says the Lord, who gives the sun for light by day and the fixed order of the moon
and the stars for light by night, who stirs up the sea so that its waves roar— the Lord of hosts is his
name: ‘If this fixed order departs from before me, declares the Lord, then shall the offspring of Israel
cease from being a nation before me forever.’”

11.) God will not cast off all the offspring of Israel for all that they have done.
…31:37 = “Thus says the Lord: ‘If the heavens above can be measured, and the foundations of the earth below can be explored, then I will cast off all the offspring of Israel for all that they have done, declares the Lord.’”


Personal and Corporate Application

How does it relate to Israel?

How is it relevant to the church today?