Tuesday, April 2, 2013

The First Baptist Church of Corinth



When God led me to pastor the First Baptist Church of Freeport I had no idea how challenging or demanding the work of church revitalization was going to be.  For one, Mark Dever had not yet published his fine series of essays on church revitalization.  Second of all, how do you really appreciate and understand something until you have experienced it yourself?  Firsthand ministry versus classroom education is often much different.  Finally, the work of biblical reformation is often somewhat glamorized in books and movies.  Having made it through the past five years of revitalization work I now understand a little bit of what Carl Truman writes of in his fine book, Reformation: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow.  I am referring particularly to his masterful chapter on "Meeting the Man of Sorrows: A Theology of the Cross." I will devote an entire blog post or two to that very important topic at a later date in time.

The ministry I inherited in 2008 was in many ways similar to what Paul described in
2 Corinthians 12:19-21, All this time you have been thinking that we are defending ourselves to you. Actually, it is in the sight of God that we have been speaking in Christ; and all for your upbuilding, beloved.  For I am afraid that perhaps when I come I may find you to be not what I wish and may be found by you to be not what you wish; that perhaps there may be strife, jealousy, angry tempers, disputes, slanders, gossip, arrogance, disturbances; I am afraid that when I come again my God may humiliate me before you, and I may mourn over many of those who have sinned in the past and not repented of the impurity, immorality and sensuality which they have practiced. 

One pastor familiar with this local church later told me that First Baptist had developed the reputation as a "pastoral graveyard."  So much for stepping into the shallow end of the ministry pool for your first senior pastorate.  


Having been raised in a pastor's home, having attended one of the finest theological seminaries in the country, having been trained by many faithful mentors, and having spent my first three years of ministry in a wonderful local church setting; I was as prepared as a young pastor could be for the task at hand.  God had great plans in store for this church and He was gracious enough to give me a front row seat!

I have on occasion referred to this local fellowship as the "First Baptist Church of Corinth."  If you read through the sum total of all my articles I believe you will come to see why I say this.  Granted, I say it somewhat tongue and cheek. 

It needs to be said at the onset that some of the believers who were apart of this ministry for many, many decades are true saints of the highest order.  These faithful believers had been praying for reformation and revival long before I ever arrived.  Their piety and prayers combined with the steadfast courage of a group of layman is the human reason why this local church now stands strong in the Lord.  Of course, the ultimate Hero of this and every reformation story is the Lord Jesus Christ.  To God and God alone belongs the highest praise!

My primary desire in publishing this series of journal reflections is to celebrate the character and attributes of God.  He is the great Hero of heaven. Without his atoning death on the cross their would be no church or hope of glory (Acts 20:28).  


I also hope to encourage my fellow brothers and sisters in Christ to keep pressing on knowing that our labor in the Lord is never in vain. Therefore, my beloved brethren, be steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, knowing that your toil is not in vain in the Lord.  Let us strive to imitate the example of Christ and the apostles in whatever ministry the Lord sends us too.

It is important that we learn from the past so long as we do not live in the past.  With that by way of introduction, here are some lessons God has taught me along the way.

SDG!

Caleb Kolstad



171 years later- a major ministry milestone at FBC, Freeport

A New Dawn at First Baptist Freeport