Thursday, October 29, 2015

A Major Ministry Milestone in Freeport

This past Sunday the congregation at the First Baptist Church of Freeport approved leadership's revised Constitution by a 96% to 4% margin.  Leadership believed that these revisions were important because they reflect with greater clarity what we believe the Scriptures teach and because it better represents our biblical philosophy of ministry (per Matt. 28:18-20; Eph. 4:11-16; Col. 1:28-29; 1 Tim. 3:15). 

As most of you know, the journey over the past seven and half years has been anything but easy.  Along the way I have tried to summarize some of the setbacks, roadblocks, and challenges here with you on Post Tenebras Lux.  All I can say right now is that after experiencing the low valleys in ministry it gives you a much greater appreciation for the spiritual mountain peaks!  

In writing this I am in no way suggesting that we have arrived as a church.  Perish the thought!  The moment you believe that lie is the moment you start to decline spiritually (both individually and corporately). 

The Apostle Paul makes this point abundantly clear in Philippians 3:12-14Not that I have already obtained it or have already become perfect, but I press on so that I may lay hold of that for which also I was laid hold of by Christ Jesus. Brethren, I do not regard myself as having laid hold of it yet; but one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and reaching forward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.

The following note, from a seasoned pastor friend of mine (who use to minister in a nearby city), sums up this moment better than I can put it.

Brother!
How I rejoice with you in this major milestone of ministry. Years ago we began praying toward this happening. Along with that you stayed in the fray to ward off wolves who were trying to rend the flock further. You have been bitten. Hurt. Yipped at with snarling, though uninformed, lips.
But you stayed. And God has blessed.
Our Master gets all the glory. You get satisfaction, joy, and in some measure, rest. May the Lord's best be yours as you seek to honor Him according to His Word.

XXX
 
Ephesians 3:20-21, Now to Him who is able to do far more abundantly beyond all that we ask or think, according to the power that works within us, to Him be the glory in the church and in Christ Jesus to all generations forever and ever. Amen.


P.S. Over the next few days I will post our revised Constitution/philosophy of ministry/church covenant. 

P.S.S. Thank you for praying for us so faithfully all these years and for sharing our sorrow(s) and our joy!     Soli Deo Gloria