Thursday, January 21, 2016

An Encouragement File (My Encouragement to You)

In seminary one of the most helpful and practical tidbits I received was to keep an encouragement file.  In other words, we were counseled to hold onto encouraging letters and emails from members and former members.  This "encouragement file" is a helpful resource especially during particularly discouraging days or spiritually barren times in ministry.

Yesterday I received a short and sweet card from a long time member.  I particularly appreciated her last line as this is exactly what one hopes to accomplish as a minister of the gospel; (What a privilege it is to teach your flock how great and awesome our God is and to make much of the Lord Jesus Christ).





"Pastor,

Thank you for your special love and care of XX and I in our times of need!  Your prayers and being available is such a blessing to us.  I am so thankful that you are my pastor at my church teaching me how wonderful and awesome our God is..."

Brother-shepherds, if you have not set up a file devoted exclusively to "timely words fitly spoken" I would encourage you to do so!  

Since the vast majority of my blog readers are not from my congregation let me encourage you Christian reader to take a few minutes to identify 'evidences of grace' in the life of your pastor (and spouse) and to put it down on paper.  "Like apples of gold in settings of silver, so is a word skillfully spoken" (Prov. 25:11). "But encourage one another, all the more, as you see the day approaching.." (Heb 10:25)