Thursday, August 17, 2017

"You're a Racist" (If You Don't Think Exactly Like I Do) and Other Myths

"You're a racist!" "No wonder you pastor such a small congregation!"  This is what a fellow believer accused me of in the aftermath of the Michael Brown/Ferguson race riot situation back in 2014.  When this tragic situation unfolded in real-time a close pastor-friend asked, "What's the backstory behind the slanderous comments that were posted on your family's Facebook page?"  This individual assumed that these emotionally charged accusations came from a former, disgruntled church member who had a serious ax to grind.  I replied, "No brother.  This is someone who has filled the pulpit for me as a guest preacher on multiple occasions.  I thought he knew me, and more importantly, that my life example spoke for itself..." apparently I was wrong.  Or was I?

Have you noticed that every time a "racial controversy" takes place in our country history seems to repeat itself?  If a political conservative and/or a Christian (regardless of heritage or race) states a position, contrary to what the Liberal N.Y. Times and/or what those evangelicals who support the Black Lives Matter narrative promote, (such as Thabiti Anyabwile and Russell Moore), their perspective is quickly drown out in a chorus of "white privilege," "racism," and/or "hate speech" accusations.  As a result, many Christians, including quite a few church leaders, are afraid to offer up a nuanced perspective- even when in the same breath- genuine racism is soundly condemned; (be it "white nationalism" or "Antifa").
Christian Harmony 

The last thing any decent person wants to have said of them today is you are a "racist," "a sexist," and/or a hate-monger.   Black Conservatives (Ben Carson, Condi Rice, Allen West, Clarence Thomas) and African-American Christians are sometimes called "house Negros" and a host of even worse sinful pejoratives. I have witnessed individuals face this kind of slanderous fire storm just because they have the audacity to hold a different political/social viewpoint.  Contrary to popular opinion, words sometimes sting far worse than "sticks and stones" and can be even more destructive (see James 3).

To set this particular blog post into it's larger context.  Some time ago I posted an article titled, "Overcoming the Flames of Ferguson."  Before publicizing this blog post I asked a well known black pastor, whom I greatly respect (Voddie Bauchman), to review my "Christian opinion piece."  I am not afraid to uphold unpopular biblical truths but I also desire to do so without causing unnecessary offense.  I have no interest in being controversial just for the sake of gaining a larger audience.  Brother Voddie graciously agreed to read my blog and told me that he thought my article was biblically balanced and helpful.  After posting this same perspective on my Facebook page another black "friend" responded by calling me a "racist" (see paragraphs one through three).


Brothers in Christ
The main points of application in this "controversial" article were as follows:  "1) Show the love of Christ to every one of your neighbors (Matthew 22:38-39).  2) Get to know other Word-centered pastors and support one another in the ministry of genuine gospel reconciliation (2 Corinthians 5:14-21).  3) Reach out to those who are not the exact same "race" or “social group” as you are (John 4).  4) Prayerfully consider being a "big brother," a foster parent, or adopting a needy child.  5) Show the love of Christ to every member in your local church and to every guest (Galatians 3:28; James 2:1-7).  6) Above all, strive to love the LORD your God with all your heart, soul, mind, and strength (Matthew 22:37-40).  7) Acknowledge the many tensions that exist in this fallen world and respond to those disagreements in a Spirit-filled way (Galatians 5:14-25).

In other words, we must "speak the truth in love" (Eph. 4:15) and acknowledge that good and godly Christians sometimes "agree to disagree on certain wisdom matters."  In relation to race matters, Thabiti A and Voddie B's public debates on "the Gospel Coalition" website are case and point.  John Piper and John MacArthur's response to these same issues is another example wherein two Word-dominated pastors have shared quite different perspectives.  Does this make MacArthur, and those with share his perspective, racist?  Is Voddie B selling out "his own people" as some implied?  Surely the body of Christ can rise above the level of hatred and folly that the unbelieving world demonstrates on a daily basis.

I have learned along the way that in certain circles if you do not view multi-layered, hot-topic political/cultural situations/issues the way certain groups/individuals do (such as immigration versus border security; welfare reform; LGBT issues, affirmative action, or various racial matters), you'll be marginalized and/or called a _____.
One Lord, One Faith

More specifically, if you believe that our Maker creates individuals "male or female" and therefore oppose "transgender bathrooms" in public elementary schools (per Genesis 1-2 or Jesus' own statement in Matt. 19:4), to some, you are guilty of "gender slander" and/or "hate speech."  Just this month NFL football star Michael Bennett made this very point in a press conference wherein he explained why he was joining Colin Kaepernick, in sitting down while the National Anthem is played.  If you hold the biblical position related to abortion (i.e. if you're 'pro-life'), to a certain segment of the population, you are "sexist."  If you uphold the biblical standard concerning human sexuality, to many, you are a hateful "homophobe" and the list goes on and on.

Back to the issue of race.  I have always been taught that "actions speak louder than words."  As such, Andrea and I have sought to show the love of Christ to our neighbors.  In Indiana, this included our Middle-eastern Muslim neighbors, who we had over for dinner, in return, they invited us into their home for Turkish coffee (which by the way is quite strong).  We also talked about crucial differences between Christianity and Islam and remained "friends."   In this same neighborhood we also had a tremendous relationship with our black neighbor (Kimberly) who was also a sister in Christ; (Kimberly died in a tragic car accident a few years after we moved).
Romans 1:16-17

In Freeport, we brought many, many meals over to our elderly neighbors.  I also mowed lawns and snow blowed many driveways during the long Midwestern winter months.   Even though our black neighbors lived across the street, and were a few houses down from us, my wife and I went out of our way to show this couple the same measure of Christian charity as we did everyone else.  For the record they were equally good neighbors to us.  I am not bragging, as we only did that what the Lord Jesus expects us to do, as followers of Christ (Mark 12:31).  I am simply sharing these stories in effort to prove a larger point.

As I child I grew up in a home where my parents taught us that God created human beings in His image (per Gen. 1) and that heaven will include redeemed sinners from "every tribe, tongue, and nation (per Rev. 5).  Our God is a global-minded Savior!   Add to this, in His perfect humanity, our Lord and Savior was of royal Jewish decent (see Matthew 1).  As such, my parents use to host black pastors from Africa during the annual Shepherds' Conference at Grace Community Church.  We were also close friends with the Korean ministry pastor and his delightful family.  I look back on all these childhood memories with much fondness.
Brothers in Christ

In addition to this, every Christian church that I have ever been apart of has had an extensive global outreach ministry.  For example, my childhood pastor in Wisconsin Rapids went away each year to serve the tribal people in Kenya and Ethiopia.   I have always had pastors who modeled these convictions (from Bob Dow to John MacArthur to Kent Kolstad to Joe Flatt).  One of the first songs we learned in children's church is "Red and yellow, black and white, they are precious in His sight, Jesus loves all the children of the world."  In my teen years we enjoyed D.C. Talk's hit song, "Colored People."   Some time ago, my sister moved to the tribal villages in Uganda in order to educate poor African children and in effort to build Christ's Church abroad.

Around 1995 my family moved to Washington State the day before my junior year of High School.  It was not the easiest of moves, but in God's kindness, I was accepted into a predominately Filipino circle of public school friends who were loyal, family-orientated, and kind.   During college I choose to room with a black athlete from the Bahamas.  Jimmy was a great roommate (minus the fact that he turned the heat on every morning in Southern California because he was still cold).
Friends in Christ of 25+ years


During my last pastorate my closest friend was Mexican.  Before this young man became a Christian he had entered the country illegally.  After his conversion he felt convicted about breaking the law (note Romans 13) and so he decided that he needed to go back to his dangerous hometown in effort to re-enter America legally.  During this lengthy process our dear brother was faithfully prayed for and the church provided financial assistance to support this special family.  God answered our prayers and this gentleman now has a higher paying job and is here legally; (For the record, the worst treatment this Christian brother experienced was from fellow (legal) Mexicans who took advantage of his illegal status in a former place of employment).  It was also my joy to see a Bible-centered Indian family join our church fellowship while in Illinois.  I encouraged their godly father to join our leadership team; (which he accepted a few years ago).  During my nine years in Freeport I asked many like-minded preachers from different congregations to preach at First Baptist.  From an elderly retired minister, to a number of black preachers, to fellow Word-centered white ministers!  Our annual Awana children's ministry was primarily comprised of "low-income" minority children whom our congregation loved and served.  My wife and I had some of these same children over for meals during "family  holidays" such as Father's Day; (many of these children did not have a loving father figure in their life).  During the past decade many of our Christian friends have opened their homes as foster parents and/or have become adoption families to minority children.  Some of my children's closest friends are black.  And the list goes on and on and on.
3 Pastor's Kids Enjoying the US Open

My humble suggestion is that before calling someone a "racist" or ____ that we get to know the "content of their character" first.  Just because someone does not view "welfare reform," "boarder security," "the Black Lives Matter movement," "affirmative action," or "the root cause behind the high incarceration rate among the black community debate" the exact same way you do, does not mean that they support the vile"white supremacist" movement.

As a pastor I want to do everything I can to eliminate divisive things like bringing racial politics and class warfare into the fellowship of the Lord's Church (Gal. 3:28; Eph. 4:1-6).  Many well intentioned  believers are doing just that often under the banner of social justice.   I love black friends as much as I love white friends.  I love poor people but I also do not despise the rich.  In addition to this, being a card carrying Republican is not the chief aim of my life.  My goal is be as Word-driven (Col. 3:16), as Spirit-filled (Eph. 5:18), and as Christ-centered (Col. 1:28) as I can possible be.  If that makes me a _______ to you, so let it be.

Postscript- I asked a lay leader in my congregation to review this blog post.  He added some helpful thoughts.  "Today's social media is almost instantaneous snap judgements. The character of a man can be destroyed by the 144 characters Twitter allows. I know false accusations have been around long before social media, but the instant viral factor has made this sin even more destructive. Pagans are going to be pagans, but seeing those who profess Christ as Lord and Savior getting in the gutter and making snap judgements is heartbreaking...

Your post is timely. The issue is only going to get worse. Typing behind a computer and not being face to face allows for the sinner to sin more easily as a false bravado comes upon us when we are in the safety of our own home. All the warnings scripture gives us about the tongue needs to be applied to our keyboards, as Justin Peters recently pointed out."