Sunday, March 12, 2017

8 Things I Love about My Present Ministry

Pulpit view from inside FBC Freeport's sanctuary
As I reflect on the past I have much to thank God for today.

1) The leadership team and I share the same doctrinal commitments, the same core values, and the same philosophy of ministry. In many ways our biblical convictions have been forged in/through fire.

 As you labor together in ministry, especially in the trenches during difficult seasons, you see each other’s strengths, weaknesses, and quirks. You also grow to love and to appreciate one another all the more (Eccl. 4:12; Prov. 18:24).

It has been said that you do not really know what you believe (or at least how deeply your convictions are) until you have to suffer for it (2 Tim. 2-3). Over the years I have been blessed to be surrounded by faithful lay leaders who have been willing to endure hardships for the sake of the truth (1 Tim. 3:15). Church revitalization is definitely not easy but it is nonetheless biblically prescribed (see Titus 1:5).

2) The men and I are able to agree to disagree on wisdom matters without growing apart (Eph. 4:1-3). By God’s grace we also know when we need to agree not to disagree on something. For a lengthier explanation read this article on Maintaining Doctrinal Standards and Revising Church Constitutions.

3) The church and leadership team have always given me ample time to study and to preach the Word (per 1 Tim. 5:17-18; 2 Tim. 2:15; 1 Pet. 4:10-11).


In the past four years I have never had a complaint about a sermon going too long. That is a rare thing to find in the American church today; (The following link is a great article on the subject of how long should you preach?). 1 Peter 2:2 members with voracious appetites for the Word bless those who are called to “equip the saints” through their preaching and teaching ministries (Eph. 4:11-16).

One of the first changes we made in 2008 was to move our Sunday School hour back to 9:15 am so that our worship service could go an hour and half (10:30am-noon) rather than seventy five minutes (10:45am-12:00pm). We found it was especially challenging to end our worship service on time (in seventy-five minutes) during Communion Sundays. A ninety minute service provided us with the “breathing room” we needed. We try and end our worship services on time but if we go over a few minutes very few people realize it; (except for our faithful nursery workers). :)

Suffice it to say, some churches say they want in-depth, (meaty) preaching (Heb. 5:12-14) but set so many unrealistic expectations on their preaching pastor. This often leads to frustration or burn out. Note the priorities the apostles established (2 Tim. 2:15; John 21:17)- which the early church supported in Acts 6.

4) It may seem like a small thing but I absolutely love my preaching pulpit at FBC (see picture above). The previous Pastor purchased a new preaching desk that was much smaller in size. When I started my ministry here in 2008 I quickly dusted off the "old beast of a pulpit" and have used it ever since.  The architecture of the church often says something about theological priorities; more on that subject another time.  Suffice it to say, the favorite place to preach for every pastor is in his own pulpit to his own flock.

5) When I was called to become the Sr. Pastor of FBC, Freeport I was 28 years young. I had the best mentoring and education a pastor could ask for but I was still inexperienced. Remarkably from day one the staff and lay leaders allowed me to be, and expected me to be, the “leader among leaders.” They wanted to learn and grow with me along the journey of grace. I believe our lay leaders have worked very hard to maintain the balance of following my overall lead without allowing us to become a Pastor-led church (or a four family run church, etc).

In contrast to my positive experience, many of my pastor-friends had to “prove themselves." In one sense trust is developed and deepened over years. Having said that, if a church has a job description and calls someone to be a “Lead Pastor” then they are saying “we believe Pastor Jones is biblically qualified and with God’s help can effectively serve and lead us in this capacity.” Dr. Mohler’s example of biblical leadership as a very young Seminary President has been very inspiring.  See also 1 Timothy 4:12.

6) This particular ministry has graciously afforded me with a lot of flexibility. As I strive to flesh out Col. 1:29, 2 Tim. 2:15, 1 Cor. 15:10, and 1 Peter 5:1-4 (sanctified spiritual sweat) the trust and respect of my fellow leaders and our church members has deepened. Though good communication is absolutely crucial I do not feel like I constantly have to “prove” myself.  Unlike some brother-shepherds in different contexts I do not live under a “ministerial microscope.”

Obviously, some seasons of ministry are especially demanding and busy. Funerals, medical emergencies, and church controversies (forest fires) require extra time and attention. During slower seasons a hardworking minister should have the flexibility to make up some of that lost time with his wife and kids. This congregation has been very considerate to my family in this way.

I have the Trustees to thank for this pastoral study!
7) I am quite blessed to have a spacious office/pastoral study with beautiful built in bookshelves. This is especially helpful as I have a large ministry library and spend many hours each week in these rooms. As I have run out of shelf space I’ve purchased more resources on LOGOS Bible Software. You can view my current office/library here.

8) Over the past 2-3 years I would describe the congregation at FBC as very low maintenance. We thank God for this time of peace and rest especially in view of my first 3-4 years...

...A short background paragraph or two may be helpful here. In 2008 the Lord directed me to pastor a historic ministry (founded in 1845) that had been experiencing a study pattern of spiritual, numerical, and financial decline. Many people today refer to this kind of work as church revitalization ministry (note Titus 1:5 and Why We Must Reclaim Dying Church and How and the Reform of the First Baptist Church of Durham.

One local minister who grew up at FBC, Freeport told me that my new work was a “minster's graveyard” and that he would be lifting me up in prayer. Little did I know how right he was. My first three or four years of ministry were often painful.  Those early years were full of internal turmoil and conflict (which is not at all uncommon in true revitalization contexts). I do not think it is an exaggeration to say 2 Cor. 12:20-21 is a good summary of how things were once like here. With a high pastoral turnover rate and with 20+ years of frequent infighting FBC had become a pretty toxic church; (though I don’t always agree with Rainer’s theology this article on an autopsy of a deceased church is quite insightful.

When I began my new ministry here in 2008 widespread distrust existed in the church. Some of the leadership boards and committees were very territorial and there were many unresolved tensions (landmines abounded). Member’s meetings sometimes resembled a Jerry Springer show more than a fellowship of Spirit-filled saints (Gal. 5:19-26).  By God's grace those days are long gone.

Eventually those who did not want to become a Word-centered, “9 Marks” church, as well as some who just grew weary after decades of infighting, moved on. In 2012, though much smaller, we were united in purpose (Matt. 28:18-20; Col. 1:28-29; Eph. 4:11-16; Acts 2:42) and were able to focus the majority of our time on evangelism and discipleship. It is amazing how much progress a local church can make when not putting out regular forest fires. Though biblical ministry always requires sanctified sweat the past many years has been blessed toil (note Hebrew 13:17; 1 Thess. 5:12-13). For this I/we rejoice and bless the Lord!

Ephesians 3:20-21, Now to Him who is able to do exceedingly abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that works in us, to Him be glory in the church by Christ Jesus to all generations, forever and ever. Amen.