Monday, June 27, 2016

Dr. Mohler Echoes My Concerns Re: the Trinitarian Civil War

The Council of Nicea
Many evangelicals have been waiting for Dr. Al Mohler to share his theological perspective concerning the current Trinitarian Civil War.  In an article published this week Dr. Mohler defended Drs. Grudem/Ware/Burk's orthodoxy and integrity in no uncertain terms!

In Heresy and Humility: Lessons From a Current Controversy Dr. Mohler echoed the main concerns I raised in three videos over the past few weeks. In my video blogs I suggested that Dr. Trueman and Dr. Goligher were right in doctrine but off base in application/practice. Dr. William Varner (of the Master's College) and I also suggested that these attacks were another example of "Machen's Warrior Children." Sadly, my comments were blown off by a few well known bloggers (whom I respect).  I insisted that tone was not the only thing lacking in the initial hit pieces posted by the Mortification of Spin and the Housewife Theologian.

In my last video blog I encouraged the team at Mortification of Spin to make a public apology to Drs. Ware/Grudem. Because I am not a celebrity pastor my concerns were largely ignored.  As a first rate theologian and as a Seminary President Dr. Mohler's article has successfully reached a broad audience.  Thankfully, when Dr. Mohler speaks evangelical Christians listen.  

Dr. Mohler did not mince any words,
"Recent charges of violating the Nicene Creed made against respected evangelical theologians like Grudem and Ware are NOT JUST NONSENSE- they are precisely the kind of nonsense that undermines orthodoxy and obscures REAL heresy. Their teachings do not in any way contradict the words of the Nicene Creed, and both theologians eagerly affirm it. I do not share their proposals concerning the eternal submission of the Son to the Father, but I am well aware that nothing they have taught even resembles the heresy of the Arians. To the contrary, both theologians affirm the full scope of orthodox Christianity and have proved themselves faithful teachers of the church. These charges are BASELESS, RECKLESS, and UNWORTHY of those who have made them." 

See Kolstad's Trinity Civil War video one.

See Kolstad's Trinity Civil War video two.

See Kolstad's Trinity Civil War video three.