Tuesday, November 17, 2015

The Golden Chain of Salvation

Photo Credit: redeeminggod.com
The Divine Chain of Salvation (Romans 8:29-30)

“Not long ago I received a call from an editor of a Christian paper, who receives our Believers Bible Bulletins from a member of the church here. The editor is a member of a denomination that believes in a generally Arminian approach to biblical teaching. For example, he does not accept the doctrine of unconditional election, or election grounded in the sovereign good pleasure of God, just as we have been expounding it in this article. Nor does he believe in the perseverance of the saints, or the security of the believer in Christ. And yet, in spite of this, he occasionally prints our studies in his paper, apparently thinking that they might do his readers good, even though free grace is stressed. It was on a Saturday afternoon when he called me, and I was in our family room without a Bible before me. He introduced himself over the telephone and explained what he did with the studies. But he had a bit of a problem, he said. In the study on John 6:34–40, which he wanted to use in his paper, there were some strong words on sovereign grace and divine election. He told me that there was one particular paragraph that, if I did not mind, he would like to eliminate from the study, because it might be offensive to his readers. It was a paragraph in which I had cited John Calvin and had added some words myself. I asked him to read the paragraph to me, which he did, and it had to do with God’s gift of us to His Son. We discussed it for a few minutes, and then I suggested that it would be satisfactory to me for him to print the paragraph, but add a footnote to the effect that he, the editor, did not necessarily endorse all said in the paragraph. I thought that might satisfy both of us, and he agreed to do that. But then he added that He believed that those given to the Son would come, as John 6:37 says, but that there were other things that might be said about it. “I believe that those given will come to the Son,” he affirmed, but he added, “but we believe that others might also come, who had not been given.” I said to him that I did not have a Bible with me and, therefore, would he read John 6:65 over the telephone. And he read, “Therefore said I unto you, that no man can come unto me, except it were given unto him of my Father.” And he was wise enough to put together John 6:37,  “All that the Father giveth me shall come to me,” the sufficient condition for salvation, the divine giving, with John 6:65, “no man can come unto me, except it were given unto him of my Father,” the necessary condition for salvation, the divine giving, and then confess, “Well, that looks like an iron-clad case!” I said, “Yes, it is.” We must be given to come to Christ, and all of the given shall come. That is the divine chain of salvation.”

Article by S. Lewis Johnson (1998). Emmaus Journal, 7(2), 210–211