Tuesday, April 21, 2015

"Your sermons are really boring!" Where have I heard that before? An Autobiography.

image used from "church for men"

Perhaps this personal testimony may encourage some of you pastors and parents out there.

When my family moved to California in 1991 we started attending THE Grace Community Church (as Dr. Mohler calls it).  Believe it or not, I use to think that John MacArthur was really, really boring.  I seriously believed Pastor John was the problem so I begged my parents to search for another local church.  I wanted shorter, lighter fluff and an activities-driven youth group.  Go figure!  My infinitely wise parents said something like, "Thanks for your opinion and insights son, but no thanks."  So my family remained at Grace for twelve years and our lives have never been the same!

In God's providence I was brought to true repentance and faith in Christ a year or two later.   As I grew in the faith I found myself becoming more and more hungry for the Word (1 Peter 2:2-3).  I began to crave the meat of God's Word (per Hebrews 5:11-14). 
As I grew in discernment and in the knowledge and grace of Jesus.  By the time I started college, my pastor (John), was now one of my heroes (even though I thought I was going to be a Christian sports broadcaster one day).  In God's providence the Spirit eventually led me into the pastorate (like my father).  I am now the "long winded" preacher trying to exposit each verse of God's holy and infallible Word with precision, clarity, and power.  I am no John MacArthur but I certainly am striving to be a faithful pastor!

Every time I hear someone say how long and boring my expository sermons are I try and remind myself that at one time that was me.  I thank God for His patience, His grace, and for really godly parents!  When I was a child I use to think like a child, act like a child, sleep like a child. 

I am always convicted when in the garden of anguish Jesus says to his true disciples, "Could you not keep watch and pray for ONE HOUR!?!"  God help us all (hearers and preachers alike)!

The following article offers some practical points on this very subject.