Saturday, April 4, 2015

Why I Love to Study and Preach the Word of God

I love studying the Bible because as the glory of God is revealed in the pages of sacred Scripture it often sucks the oxygen out of my sanctified lungs leaving me prostrate in wonder, love, and praise. 

Studying through meals is not an uncommon experience for those who get to spend concentrated amounts of time with God in His Word. 

In this vein, it is not surprising then to read that Moses went forty days and nights without food or water while communing with the Bread of Heaven atop Mount Sinai!

In depth, expository study allows a redeemed sinner to experience mountaintop moments of doxology similar to what Handel recounted when writing his musical masterpiece, "Messiah."

It is said that "when Handel completed the 'Hallelujah Chorus' he exclaimed to his servant, 'I did think I did see all Heaven before me, and the great God himself.' Again and again his servants found him in tears as he put to paper an awesome phrase or a devout passage.  And then, after the last monumental Amen had been written, he confided to a physician, 'I think God has visited me.” The exaltation with which Messiah was created is found on every page of the score.'"

The revelation of the glories of Christ in and through God's holy Word helps to explain why the preacher Chadwick said, "I would rather pay to study and preach than be paid not to study and preach;" and is why every called servant of God says, "Amen!"      It's one of the reasons why Spurgeon told his students, "If God calls you to be a preacher do not stoop to be a king."

Today my study of the Temple city in 1 Kings 5-8 eventually took me up, to the eternal Temple city, as depicted in Revelation 21-22.  How can redeemed sinners not join John Newton in proclaiming, Glorious Things of Thee Are Spoken?!?"
   
Bless'd inhabitants of Zion,
Wash'd in the Redeemer's blood!
 Jesus, whom their souls rely on,
    Makes them kings and priests to God.
 'Tis His love His people raises
    Over self to reign as kings,
 And as priests, His solemn praises
    Each for a thank-off'ring brings.


Savior, since of Zion's city
    I through grace a member am,
 Let the world deride or pity,
    I will glory in Thy name:
 Fading is the worldling's pleasure,
    All his boasted pomp and show:
 Solid joys and lasting treasure,
   None but Zion's children know.