Monday, April 27, 2015

The Best Birthday Present Ever!


One of God's best gifts is the gift of family.  Psalm 127:3 reminds us that, "Children are a blessing and a gift from the LORD."  While verse 5 of this inspired song declares, "How blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them; They will not be ashamed when they speak with their enemies at the gate."

One of the greatest joys of parenting young children is that the more you give the more you receive.  In God's abundant grace you always get back more than you give.  As such our children teach us a lot about our relationship with our blessed Godhead!

The Word of God also celebrates the gift of 'covenant companionship.'  "He who finds a wife finds a good thing (a treasure) and obtains favor from the Lord" (Proverbs 18:22).  

I am blessed among men because of the great blessing God has given me in my wife and kids.  Proverbs 31:10, "An excellent wife who can find? For her worth is far above jewels."  

I received many special birthday greetings last week for which I am most grateful!  The most special present I received was this special "book" from my eldest daughter (8). 

Please indulge me as I share this special present with you (my daughter's kindness).

"Meet the World's Best Dad"
By E. M. Kolstad

Roses are red, violets are blue  
My daddy is great and that is true

What would I do without my dad
Cause he is the raddest dad that I could ever have

My dad is braver than bats!
But my dad is so brave that I can already see that.

My dad is an awesome Pastor and I bet if the President were here he would say
'Wowser! Evelyn's dad is an awesome pastor!'

If I had a list from bottom to top
That tells who is good and who is not
My dad would certainly be on the very, very top.

You are loving, fun, and true and the only dad I want is you

My daddy is grand, my daddy is great
and every though we all sin and sometimes hate
I still think my dad is very great.

What if their was only one dad in the whole world?
What if their were no dads?
If that was true than I would have tears all year long.
So I am so glad that this is not true cuz I love you!

Does your dad love you?  I bet he does.
But my dad is the best dad their ever was.

My daddy is strong and that is not wrong!
And when he sings a song that puts us to sleep
I will remember it forever even now as I am counting sheep.

Well that that's it!
You have met the world's best day!
And to me he is the world's best dad the world has ever had!"