Thursday, December 28, 2017

Will the REAL Mary please stand up? (pt. 2)

...
Will the REAL Mary please stand up?
"Mary is the test of how well a Christian has accepted the gospel...Our understanding of Mary reveals everything about how we understand Jesus and his saving work." Catholic theologian- 2001.

As we continue the narrative of Mary as found in the Gospel of Luke we need to explain what Mary we are talking about.  Is the Roman Catholic Mary- the Mary of Scripture?

In order to present a fair critique I have read a number of Roman Catholic books.  In his book on Hail, Holy Queen: The Mother of God; In the Word of God Hahn writes, "I wrote this book so that my fellow Catholics would never be ashamed of their supernatural mother as I was once ashamed of my natural mother when she came to take me home from school."

Later he writes, "If you could have created your mother and preserved her from original sin, would you?  Would you?....Of course, you would!  But could you?  No, you couldn't! But Jesus could and Jesus did!"

On page 161 while flying on a plane Hahn pictured Mary patting me on the head and saying, "Don't worry so much about defending me.  Just love me and love my Son, and where you fall short, WE'LL make up for what you lack."

This Sunday our miniseries on the Biblical Mary continues.  Part one of this series can be downloaded free of charge here.