Wednesday, December 13, 2017

A Method to My (Expository) Madness: Pulpit Goals in 2017

Year in Review
For many months my faithful predecessor Sal Massa worked tirelessly through the sacred text of Revelation.  Unfortunately, he was unable to complete his verse-by-verse expository series of Scripture's final prophesy before his retirement in April of 2017.  In order to not leave the faithful flock at LCBC hanging- I decided to resume this expository series in Chapter 19, in large part, because the end of the story is the very best partJesus always seems to save the best for last, doesn't he?!? (note John 2 and Rev. 20-22)  Before launching into Revelation ch. 19f the Spirit has directed my steps in some unexpected ways.  I believe this falls under the banner of Proverbs 19:21 and 16:9, Many are the plans in a person's heart, but it is the LORD's purpose that prevails.  The mind of man plans his way, But the LORD directs his steps.

Pulpit Goals and Year in Review:  I began my new ministry with a stand alone sermon on "Satan's Strategies Against Christ's Church" wherein I lovingly warned the good people of LCBC of a few of Satan's sinister schemes.  In short, the Evil One would love to divide LCBC into various factions- "I am of Massa," "I am of Kolstad" (1 Cor. 3), etc.  I reminded the flock that Word-driven pastors are nothing more than "stewards" and "servants of Jesus Christ."  Jesus is the Lord of the Church and His inerrant Word is the final authority. Satan would also love for us to drift away from our biblical mission (note carefully Eph. 4:11-16; Col. 1:28-29; Matt. 28:18-20) and to alter the depth and direction of the church.  

In view of this initial sermon, we spent a month pulling apart one of the most important passages in all of ScriptureColossians 1:28-29.  This text reveals what a Biblical Philosophy of Ministry looks like.  These 4 core convictions are non-negotiable and much needed in an American context where "church growth theory" (subtly) dominates the evangelical landscape.  

The 4 components of a biblical philosophy of ministry are- 1) A Christ-centered emphasis;  2) A Teaching-focused church;  3) Leader's and members that are wholeheartedly committed to making mature disciples; (which goes against the trend of producing Heb. 5:12-14 pew fillers)  4) while maintaining the right balance; (i.e. maximum human effort yet total reliance on Him- v. 29).  A biblical philosophy of ministry helps the Lord's Church to stay on target (and to not get caught up in the latest fads- be it "social justice" causes, entrepreneurial methodology, etc).  Every congregation is prone to drift so this was a great passage to anchor my new ministry in.  

During my early months I also preached a summary message of Colossians, that was aptly titled, "HIM we Proclaim: The Sovereign Supremacy of the Lord Jesus Christ."  As my family moved from IL to WI I preached a stand alone sermon from Jude 22-23.  This passage charges every believer to "Rescue Souls as 'Ministers of Mercy.'"  

After finally getting my feet underneath me as the new Senior Pastor at LCBC we turned our attention again to the biblical study of prophesy/eschatology; (in effort to demonstrate 'pulpit continuity' between me and my predecessor).  I reminded the flock of God that the main character in the Bible (and Revelation) is the Lord Jesus Christ!  Eschatology is intended to fuel our worship and to encourage persecuted saints to persevere until the end!  As such, it was only appropriate for us to study verses 9-14 and to passionately proclaim "Worthy Is the Lamb That Was Slain."  

Next, I summarized Revelation 6-18 and the coming Tribulation in two sermons.  In this vein, I preached a message titled, "Christ Our Propitiation and the Future Wrath of God" (Rev. 6-18/1 John 4:10) and another called, "Angels We Have Heard on High Tribulation Remix" (Rev. 14:6-11).

In August I preached a few overview sermons of Revelation knowing that the larger Body of Christ is quite divided over the finer intricacies of eschatology/prophesy; (all believers agree in the 2nd Coming of Christ and long for heaven).  I called these macro messages "Revelation Pop Quiz" parts 1 and 2.  I preached these sermons to ensure that everyone was on the same page before launching into the depths of Revelation 19-22.  

This brief review brings us full circle to a final foundational series that I started back in September 2017.  Before resuming the action in Revelation 19, which highlights "the Return of the King," I hoped to accomplish two things.  1) I desired to make an airtight (biblical) case for futuristic premillenialism (which is the doctrinal position of LCBC).  2) I also wanted to show the practical and theological benefits of studying prophetic Scripture.  Prophesy charts pundits need to be reminded of this.

I stated that the Biblical Case for Futuristic Premillennialism is supported by Seven Lines of Reason:

It's- 1) The Fruit of a Consistent “Hermeneutic.”

“Hermeneutics” is 'the study of the principles and methods of interpreting the text of the
Bible as to ascertain the original intent of the Divine/human authors of Scripture.'  
Note my sermon on 2 Timothy 2:15 and our message on the "3 Key Words of Biblical Prophesy." 

2) The Unconditional Promises in the Biblical Covenants.

Per my messages on the great Abrahamic Covenant (here and here) and the regal Davidic Covenant (here, here, here and here).  Our study of Luke 1 will eventually highlight the promises of the New Covenant (note Jer 31).

3) The Hope of the Old Testament Saints and Prophets.
Per my exposition of Hosea 3.  

4) The End Times Teachings of Jesus Christ
See the Revelation of Jesus Christ as unveiled in the book of Revelation (note also passages such as Matthew 23:37-39; 24-25).

5) The Progressive Revelation of the New Testament.
Note my recent expositions Luke 1.

6) The Unified Testimony of the Early Church.
Forthcoming Sunday School lesson.

7) The Invisible Hand of Divine Providence (throughout the ages).

Forthcoming Sunday School lesson.
_____________________________________________________

In recent weeks we have gone, line-upon-line, through the opening chapter of Luke's gospel.  I felt compelled to do this for two simple reasons:  I) Because the "Song of Mary" and "the Prophesy of Zacharias" are rooted in the Old Testament covenants and look ahead to what John reveals in Revelation 19-22.  2) Because providentially we moved into the month of December.  Experience has taught me that American Evangelicals enjoy "Advent" themed sermons around Christmas time.  Luke 1 is a timeless treasure trove of truth related to the birth of the long awaited Messiah and the Savior of the world.  Plus, the Messianic titles, "Son of Abraham," "Son of David," connect the New Testament with the Old (and further demonstrates the relevance of our series on the grand covenants of Scripture). I felt staying in Luke 1 was a win/win situation.

In God's good timing we will eventually dive headfirst into the text of Revelation 19 and work through the conclusion of this great prophesy, verse-by-verse.  Until then, buckle your seat belts and enjoy the journey!