Tuesday, May 3, 2016

How To Prepare an Expository Sermon: From A to Z

Photo credit: obrijrichardson.com
How do you prepare an expository sermon?

I generally begin by reading the portion of Scripture that I am going to exposit over and over again. I prayerfully ask God to help me come to know and love Him better as a result of my expository study. I also read the larger context asking, “how does the immediate literary context- the passages on both sides of the text-inform the meaning of the text? How does the passage fit the larger section? What was the historical situation faced by the original audience?” 

If the passage is short I try and memorize it. Regardless of size it is important to prayerfully meditate upon your sermon text throughout the week.  I try and have a blank sermon notebook with me so I can write down observations, questions, key quotes, potential illustrations, and thoughts from Tuesday to Saturday. 

Next, I examine the Greek text often utilizing my Logos Bible Software and Bibleworks tools. My grammars, bible dictionaries, and lexicons on Logos help with grammatical, syntactical, and lexical analysis. During this stage I often do key word studies as well. As I study God’s Word I am prayerfully trying to discern what the flow of the text is, how it is interconnected, in order to figure out what the main point of the passage is. The main idea of the text is generally the main point of your sermon exposition.  At this point I often develop a tentative outline. The goal of course is to move from exegesis to exposition.

After my exegetical work is done I then research the history, survey the geography, and investigate the cultural issues. I then move into all my commentary helps, which are a preacher’s best friend. My secretary generally photocopies 10-15 of my “hard copy” commentaries (a biblical chapter or two at a time). In addition to this I copy and paste 15+ electronic commentaries so that my study helps can fit into two or three file folders. This process allows me to study one day offsite at the library or a local coffee shop. In a “normal” week I probably read 15 commentaries. I really don’t know how much of the text I am going to exposit until Friday morning. 

Next, I write a handwritten rough draft manuscript. During sermon draft two mode I move all my sermon notes onto the computer. I like to be done with a complete rough draft by Friday afternoon but honestly that normally does not happen. I generally finishing writing and editing my expository sermon on Saturday. 

One of the most rewarding parts of the week is when I get to print my final draft on special sermon paper (pastors are geeks I know). I then go over my manuscript and mark it up with colored highlighters on Saturday night. I prayerfully review my preaching notes on Sunday morning. 

I generally follow Stott’s method
A) Choose your text- which is not difficult when you are preaching the next unit.
B) Meditate on the passage (Psalm 1:1-3). 
C) Do your exegesis (2 Tim. 2:15). 
D) Figure out the dominant thought. 
E) Arrange your material as you write various sermon drafts. 
 F) Add the introduction and conclusion. 

In short, “Think yourself empty, read yourself full, write yourself clear, pray yourself hot, preach yourself empty, repeat.