Friday, April 15, 2016

The Twin Pillars of the Christian Life

The twin pillars of the Christian life have been rightly identified as the regular intake of Scripture and prayer.  Why are these personal spiritual disciplines so vitally important?

I spend time in the Word every day because I always need His direction.  “Thy Word is a light unto my feet and a lamp unto my path.” I know some men feel they need to separate sermon preparation from their personal devotions.  In my experience I try and commune with God as I prayerfully study, memorize, and meditate upon the Holy Word (note Psalm 1:1-3).  If I am preparing an Awana lesson, a SS study, a funeral message, a counseling session, or the morning expository sermon I believe that I am coming face to face with the perfect Revelation of God.  As such, I ask the Lord to make all of my studies a worshipful experience (like Moses on Mount Sinai).

As I examine the inspired text I am always asking the “so what” question, not simply for the flock’s sake, but for my own sanctification (John 17:17; 1 Pet. 2:2-3).  I need the Word of God to first pierce my own heart (Heb. 4:12) before I “reprove, rebuke, and exhort” (2 Tim. 4:1-5) my fellow brothers and sisters in Christ.
 

Dr. Lawson has encouraged his pastoral students to give their mornings to God (in prayer and study); their afternoons to the flock (pastoral care, meetings, leadership duties, etc), and their evenings to family (wife and children).

Over the past many years I have grown in my commitment to prayer as God has shown me how indispensable it is.  I understand that prayer ought to be one continuous conversation with the Father throughout the day rather than something I do for 15 minutes in the morning, before meals, etc.

In the spirit of Col. 4:2 and 1 Thess. 5:17 I try and pray with my children before bed, and to pray with my wife, especially when we need His wisdom and direction (James 1; Prov. 3:5-6).  I regularly pray with the leadership teams of the church (Acts 6:4).  I pray with the congregation during the SS hour each week, during the worship service, and during our weekly prayer meetings.  I pray as I study the Word of God, before I step into the pulpit, and after I finish my exposition of God’s Word (“Take your Word/plant it deep in us/cause it to bear fruit./Shape and fashion us in Your likeness, that the light of Christ might be seen today/In our acts of love and our deeds of faith”).

Pray is essential because apart from Him I can accomplish nothing (John 15:6).  When I try and do kingdom work in Caleb Kolstad’s strength alone (contra Col. 1:29) I fall flat on my face.  If I am going to have power in preaching, counseling, leadership, and parenting I need to bathe everything in prayer (2 Cor. 12:9-10). 

Jesus reminded his disciples that “the spirit is willing but the flesh is (oh so) weak.” Therefore, we pastors must “watch and pray” lest we succumb to sin and temptation (Matt. 26:41-56).  The Psalmist said that he hid God’s Word in his heart that he might not sin against Thee.  For this reason, the regular intake of Scripture and prayer have been rightly called the twin pillars of the Christian life.