Friday, February 26, 2016

Westwood, CA., High Point, N.C., Freeport, Il., (WHY FREEPORT?)

Westwood, California
In 2005 I was a twenty-five year old Assistant Pastor at a "healthy" church in a suburb outside of Indianapolis.   After receiving my Master of Divinity degree Andrea and I moved to Carmel and were immediately welcomed as family by a very generous and loving congregation; (in many ways 2005-2008 were three of the best years of our life).  In God's providence around 2008 I began to explore the possibility of becoming a Senior Pastor (wherein preaching and leadership would become my primary ministry responsibilities).  I honestly did not know then whether or not a search committee or an elder board would affirm my readiness to serve as the "leader among leaders."

Having been raised in a model pastor's home and having received phenomenal pastoral training at the Grace Community Church (for 12 years) and the Master's Seminary I believed (that with the Spirit's help) I could effectively serve in this capacity.  However, I also believed that my readiness to serve as a lead pastor would be affirmed one way or another in the laborious search process (A.K.A 'pastoral candidacy').  In other words, if no evangelical congregation extended an invitation to become their new Senior Pastor I was content to continue serving in a support role.



To make a long story short, a few months later, the Lord graciously provided three Senior Minister opportunities in three very different ministry contexts.  During one stretch I visited churches in Westwood, California; High Point, North Carolina; and Freeport, Illinois.  Each of these ministries had their respective strengths and weaknesses (as was true of me as well).  As far as personal preferences go Andrea and I were most comfortable in a suburban context (think Starbucks, Paradise Cafe, Chipotle, Carraba's, etc).  With that being said, I firmly believe that when one is truly called into pastoral ministry "personal, creature comforts" must be relegated to their proper place.  The primary question is NOT where would we most like to raise our family, but where is the Holy Spirit leading us to serve?  Which church is the best ministry fit?   Is any ministry location in greater need of a Word-centered, 9 Marks, expository preaching ministry?   In this vein, I don't think any of the great missionaries of the church went to India or China or Sudan because it was where they always dreamed of living.  "Here I am, send me!" is the heart cry of every servant of Christ.  Providence disperses us to various locations according to the infinite wisdom of God.

As my wife and I sought wise counsel and spent time communing with Christ in prayer the Lord unexpectedly directed our path to a declining church in a rapidly declining, semi-rural community in northwest Illinois.  From a 'worldly perspective' our decision made very little sense (note this, this, and this).   When I accepted this congregation's call seven and half years ago I had no idea how difficult and personally taxing church revitalization ministry is.  Having said that, what I believed then (and still believe) is that Freeport was the most spiritually needy place of all the opportunities presented to me in 2008.   Now I would be lying if I acted as if Andrea and I have never found ourselves privately echoing the sentiment of Alessia Carra, "What am I doing here?"  Leading a congregation according to the Book is never easy; but serving a sick church like the fellowship at Crete (see the book of Titus), or a dysfunctional and immature congregation like Corinth (see 1 and 2 Corinthians), is far more difficult than shepherding the flock in Philippi (see the book Philippians).

Over the years I have come to see that only God can restore spiritual health and life to a struggling church; but the Lord often uses "jars of clay" to accomplish His sovereign kingdom purposes along the way.  Over the years, a lot of blood, sweat, and tears have been shed by many saints in effort to correct the biblical depth and direction of First Baptist, Freeport.  Along the way I have gone through the crucible of the Refiner's fire and have come out the other side more passionate for the glory of Christ and more committed to the maturation of Christ's Church than every before (see Col. 1:28-29; Eph. 4:11-15; Heb. 5:12-14)!

Because of God's sustaining grace and His sovereign hand of protection we have been able to witness the Lord reform and revitalize an historic church (founded in 1845) in what is a very spiritually needy city.  On two separate occasions I have had a front row seat to when the Lord swooped in with miraculous financial provisions that have sustained the ministry of First Baptist Church.  The timing of these Jehovah Jireh provisions were George Mueller-esq and are our Ebenezer stones; (you can read about these amazing Grace stories herehere, and here).

As I said many years ago, the human hero(es) of this revitalization story are a number of faithful, courageous, and Word-driven lay leaders and a band of faithful church members.  At the end of the day, however, the only One worthy of glory, honor, and praise is our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.  Ephesians 3:21, "To him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen."

Why did the Lord direct us to Pretzel city, U.S.A.?  God brought us to Freeport so that we could witness the unfolding of God's glory in and through His revitalizing grace in the life of First Baptist Church.  To Christ alone belongs the highest praise!