Friday, August 7, 2015

Life Lessons

Photo Credit: http://beggarsbread.org/2012/10/14/hand-to-the-plow/
A friend suggested I read this article today and I am glad he did. Even though I have only completed ten years of ministry I can "amen" most everything that Brian Croft wrote as he reflected on twenty. By the grace of God (1 Cor. 15:10) some of these lessons have been consistently fleshed out in my life, and/or in the life of First Baptist. However, some of the lessons Pastor Croft has learned are still a ‘work in progress’ in my heart/ministry and/or in the lives of our leadership/congregation. No pastor and no local church is perfect. I am convinced that the foundation, direction, and the philosophy of ministry at FBC is biblical.  We are moving in the right direction and we are growing spiritually in the Lord.  In view of this we must keep pressing on toward the goal of the upward calling. Providentially, God has provided in supernatural ways to keep this local church afloat financially during dry seasons and difficult times.  Let us keep our eyes on the Author and Perfecter of our faith

The following lessons were most encouraging:

1. God’s Word Is Sufficient to Build Christ’s Church

On my first Sunday as senior pastor, I sat alone in the sanctuary wondering if the doors would be open in a year. I realized all my cleverness and worldly wisdom couldn’t stop the decline. But I knew God, by his Spirit and through his Word, was sufficient to build and revitalize his church. Over a decade later, I’ve watched him do this very thing.


8. Faithfulness Is Worth the Harshest of Criticisms 

Hard decisions have been made in every church I’ve served. Members have been disciplined. Men who just completed seminary have been counseled not to pursue vocational ministry. Attenders have been denied membership. Members have been removed due to their neglect. Countercultural decisions to defend the gospel in the community have been mocked. I’ve endured many harsh words because of my decisions to obey Scripture. My name has been so slandered that people recognized me in stores or coffee shops only because of the painful and public words said about me. But I can endure even the harshest words because I trust Christ will count me faithful, even despite my sin, when I stand before him.

18. Expect Suffering

My experience has reinforced this truth a lot over the years. If you want to be a pastor but aren’t willing to suffer, do something else. Our families and ministries are on the front lines of spiritual attack and gospel work. Suffering will come. At times, it will come all at once. Expect it. Hang on loosely to the things of this world. Hold on tightly to Jesus and your family.  Allow pastoral suffering, for it is certain to come. Let it make you long for heaven.


19. Numbers Are Not a Helpful Gauge for Determining Church Health

The common trend is to use bodies and budgets to gauge church health. Having served in churches with big budgets and lots of behinds, however, I can tell you firsthand that those criteria by themselves are bad for measuring God’s work and church health. Pastors must evaluate their church and ministry in God’s way, not corporate America’s.


The following lessons were convicting but helpful:

4. Hang Onto Your Family 


I was once told, “You can always have another ministry. You only get one wife.” This is absolutely true. Children also grow up fast and need their dad. Make sure you balance ministry and family life in such a way that your wife and children always come first, even in the grind of ministry. I’ve learned to take all my vacation time and not to answer the phone during dinner, devotions, and my day off. Remember, if you lose your family, you may lose the right to serve in ministry at all (1 Tim. 3:4–5).

12. Pastors Will Give an Account for Every Soul Under Their Care

Pastors often forget they’ll give an account to the Lord Christ not only for those who love and support them, but also for those who don’t. When I struggled to love difficult people (which was often), the piercing words of Hebrews 13:17 kept me from shirking my responsibility before the chief shepherd.

16. Prayer Changes Me the Most

I spent 20 years of ministry not praying as much as I should have. Many regrets here. But when I did pray, I found God meeting me in my despair and comforting my soul. That became a sweet place of rest, more so than any answered prayer.  It’s a special thing when a pastor cries out for his people and church to be strengthened. God has answered many prayers throughout the last two decades, but what he’s done in my soul when I’ve cried out to him has been most significant.