Saturday, February 21, 2015

"When Your Reputation is Unfairly Tarnished." At the Feet of C.H. Spurgeon (pt. 1).



Throughout my Christian pilgrimage I have placed myself at the feet of Charles Spurgeon many times over.  While reading Spurgeon's authorized biography I have been learning a lot about gospel-centered evangelism, Christ-centered preaching, and pastoral ministry that is Word-driven.

I recently came across a helpful section on criticism and slander.  How should a Christian pastor respond when his reputation is unfairly tarnished?  What should you do when former disgruntled members actively seek your demise especially when you pastor a local church in a smaller community?   As with every wisdom scenario context is very important.   

Everyone agrees that it is imperative to humbly consider any and all criticism in order to prayerfully discern if their is even a 'kernel of truth' in it.  Having said that, some church leaders have also suggested that it is never prudent to defend yourself or your ministry from misrepresentations even when the criticism or slander is grossly imbalanced or patently false.  "Let God take care of your reputation."   In many instances this may be the wisest course of action but not always.  Spurgeon, following Paul's own example in 2 Corinthians, provides a few illustrations of what to do, or not do, when you find yourself in the line of fire.

Concerning his own ministry Spurgeon writes, "It was my lot to go through two or three years of the most violent abuse, and I thank God for it.  I felt it very hard to bear, but I fell upon my knees before God, and told Him that, when I gave Him everything else, I gave Him my character, too.  If I had known that by faithfully serving Christ I must ruin my reputation, I think I should not have paused for a single moment."

This paragraph resonated with me because of what I experienced in the early years of my ministry at First Baptist, Freeport.  Heaven knows that "two or three years of violent abuse" is no exaggeration.  Endurance gained from painful trials is never easy but it is immensely profitable.  I wish I could honestly say with Spurgeon, "If I had known that by faithfully serving Christ I must ruin my reputation, I think I should not have paused for a single moment."  Unlike brother Spurgeon I have paused along the way and wondered if it is really worth it?  Dying to self is a daily battle.  One that I do not always win.

Pastor Spurgeon goes on to say, "I felt quite sure that if my reputation should be lost here among men it would be safe with my Lord; for at the day of judgement there will be a resurrection or reputations as well as of bodies.  YET IT IS VERY HARD TO BEAR UP UNDER CONSTANT SLANDERS (emphasis mine); only one good thing comes of it, you can find out your weak points, for your enemies will discover your faults if your friends do not.  But if I have God with me, I do not care who may be against me.  I remember that once, in London, a man took off his hat, bowed to me, and said, 'The Rev. Mr. Spurgeon--a great humbug!"  I took off my hat, too, and said, 'I am much obliged to you, sir, for the compliment; I am glad to hear that I am great at anything.'  We parted amicably, and I have not had the pleasure of meeting him since..."

In my next post we will consider a specific example when Spurgeon defends himself, point by point, after some of his actions and words were questioned and/or attacked by critics.