Monday, February 9, 2015

The Gospel According to the Grammys

 
I have a confession to make.  I love music and would echo the sentiment of Martin Luther who said, "Next to the Word of God, the noble art of music is the greatest treasure in the world."  As someone who appreciates music I also enjoy the diversity of musical styles that exist in our current culture.  In God's common grace, even unregenerate human beings possess the God-given capacity to create unbelievable sounds and memorable works of art.  Sadly, a lot of amazing talent is spoiled and/or squandered once explicit, hedonistic lyrics (songs that extol the lust of the eyes, lust of the flesh, and the boastful pride of life) are married to what is otherwise 'happy' music.  More on this point in a moment.
 
As with other areas in life, in some ways, "beauty" is in the eye of the beholder.  This explains why some people gravitate to opera while others prefer the distinct sound of country music.  But now I digress.
 
During the 2015 Grammys two particular segments stood out in my mind.  The first was when Grammy winner Pharrell Williams went back on stage to thank the Lord for his God-given talent.   This kind of acceptance speech is really not that uncommon even at a 'secular' award ceremonies show like the Grammys.  What was out of the ordinary is that Williams went on to say, "I forgot to say it earlier God, but as You can see I am at your service, Lord."  This public confession was not the industry standard, "I want to thank God for giving me such amazing talent" speech.  I wonder what went through your mind when you heard Pharrell Williams express this gospel sounding admission.
 
The first few thoughts that entered my mind when I heard this public confession were the haunting words of Jesus Christ in Luke 6:46, where King Jesus said, "Why do you call me 'Lord, Lord,' and do not do what I say?"  I also thought of Jesus' penetrating words in John 14:23, "If anyone (truly) loves me, he will keep My Word."  Whenever a public confession like this is made in a context like the Grammys one cannot help but consider the practical implications of Matthew 7:21-23
 
What are you trying to say Caleb?  As a self-professed servant of God one would naturally expect that Mr. Williams' art/life would reflect this very powerful confession of faith.  "I am at your service, Lord!"  However, if you read the song lyrics of Pharrell's recent award winning album you will quickly realize that many of Williams' scripted words do not harmonize with his gospel confession at all.  Now if you think my assertion here is "harsh and unfair" I simply direct you to Pharrell's lewd song, Gush.   It is one thing for a disciple to fall into sin and to later repent and move forward in the grace of the Savior.  It is another thing altogether to intentionally produce movies or music that promotes the kind of behavior and speech that the Lord Jesus Christ says is damning.  Of course the same charges of hypocrisy should be said of any "professing" Christian who is "a Sunday saint and a Monday through Saturday ain't."  As Billy Graham once said, "The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are (nominal) Christians: who acknowledge Jesus with their lips, walk out the door, and deny Him with their life(style). That is what an unbelieving worlds simply finds unbelieving."  Of course many unbelievers actually find this kind of religious hypocrisy quite comforting because it sooths their consciences into thinking that they are right with the Lord.
 
Is it any wonder then why Jesus warned the religious crowds, as well as the leaders of apostate Judaism, "That not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord' shall enter the Kingdom of heaven!?!"  Salvation is by grace alone through faith alone in Christ alone but genuine saving faith always produces sanctifying works.  For further reflection I direct your attention to John 3, Ephesians 2, and James 2 in the New Testament Scriptures.
 
The second segment of the Grammys that stood out most to me was when LL Cool J and Hollywood actress Gwyneth Paltrow introduced megastar Beyoncé before she sang the well known gospel song, "Take My Hand, Precious Lord."  Here is what was said as this gospel song was introduced, "The hymn that we are about to hear was written by Reverend Thomas Dorsey in response to the death of his wife and infant son. These words, which have been sung by people of all races and religions and backgrounds, were intricatel to the American Civil rights movement in the 1960's and are still relevant today.... We live in complicated times and now more than ever we need understanding and to acknowledge the feelings of others.."
 
It is troubling when the Savior who clearly said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life, and no man comes to the Father but through me," (Jesus in John 14:6) is presented at the Grammys as being a Jesus of all faiths and religions.  It is also telling that one of the most sexually suggestive and talented artists in the business (Beyoncé) is the person the Grammys selected to sing this beloved GOSPEL song. 
 
Suffice it to say, the gospel according to the Grammys is not the same Gospel message that is clearly taught in the Old and New Testament Scriptures by Jesus or the apostles.  This is of particular importance to all people because the Word of God clearly teaches, "As we have said before so I say again now, if any man is preaching to you a GOSPEL contrary to that which you received, let him be accursed.  For am I now seeking the favor of men, or of God?  Or am I striving to please men?  If I were still trying to please men, I would not be a bond-servant of Christ." (Galatians 1:9-10).  This is what "I am at your service, Lord" is really all about.
 
Postscript- I did not watch the entire Grammy awards show last night.  In all honesty, my wife and I rarely watch any program anymore without utilizing our DVR (this includes the Super Bowl).  We do this primarily so we can fast forward through the commercials or jump over parts of the program that we dim less than helpful to us.  For example, as soon as a Grammy act started featuring dancers dressed as demons from hell we turned the channel to something else.  We also fast-forward acts that showcases lewd dancers (sorry hip-hop).  Such entertainment is not helpful in our Romans 7 battle against the flesh.  
 
It would be imbalanced, however, if I did not also mention that more than a few Grammy performances were 'clean.'  Their were some musical arrangements that were quite enjoyable to listen to (to my ears anyways). 
 
Finally, if you minister to children and teens in your community you need to understand that these artists are on their IPODS.  That goes for many of our "church kids" too.  The gospel according to the Grammys is a message they are far more familiar with then the biblical gospel.  By God's grace may we seek to live out the implications of Romans 1:16, "For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of salvation to everyone who believes."