Thursday, May 11, 2023

Pastor John MacArthur: Longtime Pastor, Mentor, and Friend!

Remember your leaders, those who spoke to you the Word of God. Consider the outcome of their way of life and imitate their faith” (Hebrews 13:7). “Imitate me, (in so much) as I imitate Christ.” The Apostle Paul, 1 Corinthians 11:1.

When it comes to ministry mentors and pastoral role-models: Choose wisely!  For “the student is not above the teacher, but everyone who is fully trained will be like their teacher.” Jesus, Luke 6:40.

Dr. John MacArthur became my pastor in 1991.  I still consider him to be my primary ministry mentor, my faithful shepherd, and my humble friend.  Pastor John has been the lead shepherd at Grace Community Church steadily leading the same flock for over fifty years now; (he began his ministry at GCC in 1969)!  When my entire family moved from Wisconsin Rapids to Los Angeles in the early 90’s, little did I know the impact Pastor John MacArthur would have on my life, my wife/family, and on my own future pastoral ministry.  How could I? Seeing I was not genuinely converted until Jr. High (and only God knows the future).  Looking back, one of the greatest privileges in my life was growing up at Grace Community Church, sitting under the expository preaching ministry of John MacArthur, and attending the Master’s University and Seminary.  Here I learned the in’s and out’s of biblical Christianity and the ABC’s of pastoral ministry and expository preaching.  At this faithful church, under this faithful preacher, everything my Christian parents taught me from Scripture was reinforced and fortified (2 Timothy 3:15-4:5).

Over the past thirty years I have corresponded back and forth with Pastor MacArthur often via handwritten letters.  Despite an unbelievably demanding ministry schedule, Pastor John has always taken time to write me back (albeit sometimes through his church secretary).  As a child/teenager many of my chicken scratch notes included "difficult" bible questions, such as, “Pastor, how do you explain the discrepancies with regard to numbers recorded in the same bible verse in different bible translations?”  “Dear Pastor John, if God is absolutely sovereign, how do we reconcile ____.”  After many gracious and thoroughly biblical responses I realized that it was unlikely that I would be able to stump (my) Pastor John.   


In the 90’s my (pastor) father had the privilege of serving as missions/outreach pastor (while attending seminary) and I had the honor of serving as a deacon (a decade or so later).  During college, when the Lord changed my career trajectory from sports broadcasting to pastoral ministry/preaching, my love and appreciation for Pastor John MacArthur increased a hundred-fold.  He was now not only my favorite preacher, he was also a ministry hero in the faith.  Like Dr. Lloyd-Jones, Pastor John was a lion in the pulpit and a lamb outside of it when interacting with his beloved congregation.  As I was able to see him live out his faith in private (doing life with his children and grandchildren) my respect for him only grew.  Like my own father, he was the same godly man at home as he was behind the pulpit.

One of the most memorable highlights of our married life is when Pastor John and Patricia visited our 1-bedroom dorm apartment (see picture above) for dinner before I graduated from seminary and moved to the Midwest to pastor a local church.  

Suffice it to say, no “jar of clay” has had a greater impact on my pulpit ministry, my theological convictions, and my (biblical) philosophy of ministry than Pastor John MacArthur.  This partially explains why Andrea and I named our son Jude MacArthur Kolstad. 

Many people who find/visit Lake County Bible Church do so via the Master’s Seminary church finder or by calling “Grace to You.”  It is a tremendous stewardship and honor to receive referrals from any of Pastor John’s ministry volunteers and pastors/professors (1 Corinthians 4:2; 1 Peter 4:11).  To be called a "Master's man" is a great privilege and a great responsibility.

In view of the massive influence of The Master’s Seminary/University and Pastor John MacArthur on me (and all of our pastors) we believe it is quite fitting to highlight this special relationship on my ministry blog page and church website.

Included are a few of my favorite memories/pictures with Pastor John; (unfortunately I did not save any letters from my childhood/teen years).