Thursday, November 7, 2013

"O You of Little Faith, Why Do You Doubt?"

 
Jesus and the Storms of Life
 
In John 6 Jesus tests his disciples in order to help them grow in the knowledge and grace of Christ.  Jesus' disciples quickly fail heaven's pop quiz before receiving an invaluable spiritual lesson from their Master Teacher.  After the Lord Jesus flexes His Deity muscles for all to see He sends the twelve back across the Sea of Galilee.  Less than twelve hours later the disciple's faith is tested once again this time in the middle of a giant sea storm.  Without the perceived presence of Christ the disciples panic (Mayday!!!).  These manly fishermen are quickly overcome with white-knuckle fear and in short order have to basically relearn the same lesson Jesus taught them just a short while ago.  Sound familiar anyone (my hand is raised)?

When preaching through this narrative the Spirit reminded me how often I respond just like these knucklehead disciples. How many times must Jesus say to you and I, "O you of little faith.  Why did you doubt? Why are you so afraid?" 

After God's amazing and abundant provision for First Baptist Church just a few years ago I would like to tell you that every time our ministry ship has gone through various life storms that I've always responded with steadfast faith and courage; that would be a LIE.  So many times in life and ministry I find myself crying out, "Lord I believe!  Help my unbelief!" Or "Father, cure this spiritual amnesia of mine and forgive me for ever doubting You, Your plan, or Your Holy Word."  "Help me so I can help those entrusted to my care."

As I post this series of journal articles I want to do everything I can to make much of Jesus.  Even when we respond faithfully or make a Martin Luther like stand for the truth let us quickly direct all praise and glory back to God (Romans 11:36). 

In Christ alone
I place my trust
And find my glory in the power of the cross
In every victory
Let it be said of me
My source of strength
My source of hope
Is Christ alone

In Christ alone do I glory
For only by His grace I am redeemed
For only His tender mercy
Could reach beyond my weakness to my need
And now I seek no greater honor in just to know Him more
And to count my gains but losses to the glory of my Lord